Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reflections from the other side of pregnancy

As you may know, I hated being pregnant! I don't know if it was because I was carrying twins or just that the process is uncomfortable and just plain annoying. However, looking back (with 2 babies to show for it), I can see why people do it over and over again. Here are some things, both good and bad (in no particular order), that I learned along the way:

I have the MOST AMAZING husband - If it weren't for him, I'm pretty sure our babies would not have stayed in as long and would not be 1/2 as healthy. He was the one to make sure I got enough rest, to make sure I ate and drank my water and did all the cooking and cleaning. He was very protective of me and the boys, even when I would get mad at him for limiting me.

The motorized carts at Costco and Target are like heaven to those who need them - It was so thrilling for me to be able to get out of the house and actually be able to function after. While renting a wheel chair at the mall is nice, not having to feel bad that your husband is having to push your gigantic body around is even nicer.

Walking for the 1st time after a c-section is nothing compared to trying to carry around 13 1/2 pounds of baby inside of you - Everyone told me that this was the worst part of the recovery, but I can honestly say that the pain I had in the weeks before the babies came put it to shame.

Lack of sexual desire in the last few weeks of pregnancy doesn't mean you won't be wishing you could get your groove back the night you come home from the hospital - I think that says it all...too bad they make you wait 6 weeks for the Dr's ok.

I would have never thought that gaining 95 pounds could be so rewarding - I just hope I can get all those Jack-in-the-box Oreo shakes and Blue Bell ice cream (you'll have to come to Texas to try some :)) to leave my thighs in the near future.

On the days you think you just can't take it anymore, you can convince that you will make it 1 more day for the sake of your babies - the body and mind are amazing (even if neither seems to function as you would like it during pregnancy). There were days I wanted to perform a c-section on myself, but I made it through and so can you.

Always having to wear clothing with an elastic waist really messes with a woman's psyche.

Once you finally get to go pee without being pregnant, it feels like it lasts forever - without the pressure of 2 babies smashing your bladder, it's amazing how much that thing will hold.

After months of drinking jugs and jugs of water and going to the bathroom non-stop, the hospital catheter is a blessing!

Looking back, 3D ultrasounds really look like your babies - However, they don't help you envision what your children will look before they are born by any means.

Feeling 2 babies moving inside your body is weird! What's even weirder is when their movements are so strong they shake the couch as you try to watch a movie with your husband.

Nothing can prepare you for the time when you are too big, too hot and too uncomfortable to continue sharing a bed with your husband. While it sucks to sleep in different beds, both of you get a better nights sleep and once the babies are born it will be like it never happened.

Being pregnant with babies who get the hiccups multiple times a day is amusing at first, but then just gets a bit annoying (especially when you are trying to sleep).

Outgrowing maternity clothes will happen - for some of us you go from medium to 2xl earlier than others.

Everyone's pregnancy, delivery and babies (or baby) are different, but that doesn't stop them all from thinking you'll have the same experience they had.

I'm sure there are many more things to share, but my mommy brain can't think that far back anymore....wow it looks like I'll never be the same. That's fine by me because I would give anything for my boys...I guess that's what being a mom is all about and that's what makes it all worth while!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails