We decided last week that we were going to work it into our budget and make it a weekly treat to go out to eat on Saturday nights. It is a good break for us, gives us somewhere to go and exposes our kids to new places and new faces. We are always afraid of having to wait for a table or that wherever we choose to go will have 2 available high chairs...but it is always worth a try.
So tonight we made a trip to Chuy's, one of our favorite mexican restaurants. It's one of those places that is nice and loud, super kid friendly and they have very yummy food. Lucky for us, we got there and were able to sit very quickly...they even had plenty of available seating for the kiddos. Turner spent most of the time making googly eyes at the blonds at the table next to us and Jaxson made every attempt to get a hold of every item on the table. We have quickly figured out that while this is a good opportunity to help develop some restaurant manners for the boys, it is also good for mommy and daddy to learn what is needed to keep two babies occupied and contained long enough to finish a meal.
About the time I was half way through my fajitas, Turner decided that he was done with the high chair. I quickly ate up the rest of my meal and took him out so those around us would not think of us the way we think of our neighbors who let their dog bark all night long. Turner was doing well, but we were ready for our check.
The server brought our check and obligatorily described and offered us some dessert. He mentioned a few things and then said 'fried ice cream.' Seth and I had a conversation a while ago about fried ice cream. He couldn't believe there was such a thing and I told him the next time we were somewhere they had it, he would have to try it. I mentioned it to him and informed the server that Seth couldn't comprehend fried ice cream. Our dear server then began to go into the process of how it is made as we listened as intently as possible.
Apparently his description of fried ice cream was interesting enough to Seth that he turned his eyes off of little Jaxson. Next thing we knew there was a crash followed by a crying baby. As we looked over, there was Jaxson with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, lettuce and pico de gallo on him, the high chair, the floor and all inside our diaper bag. You see, our smart 7 month old has already discovered how to rock the high chair to move closer to the table. Before any of us had any idea he had moved, he grabbed the bowl, pulled it off the table and there was a huge mess.
Since I had Turner in my arms, Seth and the server rushed to try to clean up Jaxson. He was fine and, given all that was in the bowl, really rather clean. The sound, feeling and whole experience just scared him more than anything. It was quite comical and I think we have learned a very valuable lesson...you can't look away for even a moment.
By the way, I didn't have the camera (oh how I would have loved to have pics of this one!) and we didn't get any fried ice cream :) We did, however, call Jaxson 'little fajita' the whole way home!
So tonight we made a trip to Chuy's, one of our favorite mexican restaurants. It's one of those places that is nice and loud, super kid friendly and they have very yummy food. Lucky for us, we got there and were able to sit very quickly...they even had plenty of available seating for the kiddos. Turner spent most of the time making googly eyes at the blonds at the table next to us and Jaxson made every attempt to get a hold of every item on the table. We have quickly figured out that while this is a good opportunity to help develop some restaurant manners for the boys, it is also good for mommy and daddy to learn what is needed to keep two babies occupied and contained long enough to finish a meal.
About the time I was half way through my fajitas, Turner decided that he was done with the high chair. I quickly ate up the rest of my meal and took him out so those around us would not think of us the way we think of our neighbors who let their dog bark all night long. Turner was doing well, but we were ready for our check.
The server brought our check and obligatorily described and offered us some dessert. He mentioned a few things and then said 'fried ice cream.' Seth and I had a conversation a while ago about fried ice cream. He couldn't believe there was such a thing and I told him the next time we were somewhere they had it, he would have to try it. I mentioned it to him and informed the server that Seth couldn't comprehend fried ice cream. Our dear server then began to go into the process of how it is made as we listened as intently as possible.
Apparently his description of fried ice cream was interesting enough to Seth that he turned his eyes off of little Jaxson. Next thing we knew there was a crash followed by a crying baby. As we looked over, there was Jaxson with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, lettuce and pico de gallo on him, the high chair, the floor and all inside our diaper bag. You see, our smart 7 month old has already discovered how to rock the high chair to move closer to the table. Before any of us had any idea he had moved, he grabbed the bowl, pulled it off the table and there was a huge mess.
Since I had Turner in my arms, Seth and the server rushed to try to clean up Jaxson. He was fine and, given all that was in the bowl, really rather clean. The sound, feeling and whole experience just scared him more than anything. It was quite comical and I think we have learned a very valuable lesson...you can't look away for even a moment.
By the way, I didn't have the camera (oh how I would have loved to have pics of this one!) and we didn't get any fried ice cream :) We did, however, call Jaxson 'little fajita' the whole way home!

3 comments:
Ok SuperMom, where are the pictures? That sounds too cute, and you get the greatest shots. Don't tell me you left the camera home. I think Saturday night dinner is a great idea. I'm still trying to set up a steady date night.
Amen to the dogs barking all night long! We seem to have the only dog in our cluster of houses who chooses NOT to bark when out in the yard.
And I'm glad little Jaxson didn't get too messy. There's a story from my childhood about fingers in pico and then in the eyes. It wasn't pretty.
Amen to the dogs barking all night long! We seem to have the only dog in our cluster of houses who chooses NOT to bark when out in the yard.
And I'm glad little Jaxson didn't get too messy. There's a story from my childhood about fingers in pico and then in the eyes. It wasn't pretty.
Post a Comment