Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Separation?

"Many people view the bond between multiples as unhealthy -- a dependency, a limitation that excludes outside relationships, a suffocation of individuality, a font of jealousy and rivalry.
However, most multiples, and their parents, recognize it as a wonderful gift. Every twinship, like every child, is unique and has to be evaluated as such." ~ about.com


This past Sunday, Jaxson had a rough time at church. He likes church, talks about it all week, but once Sunday morning comes, he does not want to go. This week, he cried and said 'don't want go church' from the moment the church building was in his view. As parents, we understand and do our best to be sensitive to the separation anxiety issues. Once we made it to the boys classroom, I decided to take Jaxson aside and explain to him what was going to happen in a very simple timeline and then drop him at the door. However, it turned into a bit of a circus.

Many well meaning volunteers and staff at the church felt it necessary to bombard us with recommendations and suggestions. It frustrated me greatly! I just wanted a moment to prepare my kid and then let him go. I didn't need to hear about how it would get easier and how it was normal...I get it. Anyway, one person, as kindly and sensitively as possible, suggested we split the boys into different classes. This had nothing to do with the issue at hand and irked Seth quite a bit. I was not really surprised or offended since I hear all the time about people being recommended to separate their multiples, it just seemed unnecessary.

At this point we have no desire, intention or reason to separate our boys in Sunday school, academic classrooms or even bedrooms. In fact, unless some need arises, we have no plans to force any separation them unless they request to be separated. When I read this post today, it led me to an interesting article about separating multiples....you might want to check it out :)

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

Ugh how frustrating! Add it to the list of things other people think they can advise you on when they don't have or have much, if any, experience with multiples! My poor Jaxsie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails