Monday, November 10, 2008

It's All About Choice!

I know many of you have been following my weight loss journey here on the blog. I get asked often what I do to stay motivated. Honestly, I don't find sticking with it that difficult and I don't think it's about motivation. Maybe it's because I am so stubborn and maybe it's because I have 'been there, done that'. And maybe it's because I think 'motivation' is a cop out!

I understand that I have all the control and it is all about choices. I do follow a plan and I like the freedom of Weight Watchers. I choose to eat out on Saturdays and to have chocolate chip pancakes on Sundays, but that means I need to make healthier choices throughout my week. I really never feel deprived. I don't sit around waiting to be motivated...I get up, make choices and do something about the situation!

I was a fat kid, a very fat teenager and a not so fat adult. I lost 100 pounds in 2000 and was able to keep it off (with normal weight fluctuations) until I got pregnant in 2007. I am super committed to not being a fat wife or a fat mommy! I want to have the energy to run in the sprinklers and play with my boys. I want my husband to have an attractive wife (not that being overweight makes you not attractive), who feels confident and happy with the way she looks. I want my boys to grow up without food issues and understanding how to make healthy choices. I want to set the right example.

For those of you who are interested, here are a few things that I have found helpful:

1. I weigh myself once a week. I try not to weigh more often, but I need a weekly status check. I am ecstatic if I see a loss (even a small one), content to not see a gain and motivated to get my butt in gear if I have gone up.

2. I see my weight loss as a journey and each week as a small battle within a greater war. I have been know to tell myself often (even daily), that "it's not about winning the battles, but about winning the war!" This helps me keep the proper perspective, that each small choice and each day are not more important than the last or the next. If I have a bad day, it doesn't need to turn into a bad week or month. There have been weeks where I am so over my points allowance, it is insane. Those weeks are not a disappointment or a discouragement, but just an opportunity to get back on track and start a new.

3. I set small goals. For a while now, my goal has been to be able to wear my wedding ring again. It has been almost a year! I took it off in December of last year since I was afraid I would gain so much that I would need it cut off. It is getting closer to fitting, but I'm afraid it still may be a while. Weight doesn't seem to really fall off my fingers :) I also have a new shirt in the closet that would probably fit me now, but not as well as when I loose 19 pounds. So, once the next 19 are gone, I'll be strutting my new "Mom of Twins" shirt with pride (in both my boys and myself!).

4. I try to take the boys for a morning walk Monday through Friday. I have found that a little exercise helps keep my sanity, patience and energy in check and it is a great way to start our day. Also, I am pretty sure that the multiple trips up and down the stairs with 20 pound 'weights' has to be helping at least a little :)

5. Finally, I do a photo check every so often. I look at my progress through the eyes of the camera. Daily results are hard to see, but when I can look back a few months, I am encouraged that my diligence and my choices are paying off. Here is the past 17 months!


June 2007 - I got pregnant in July


March 2008 (The night before the boys were born) - up 95 pounds!


July 2008 - The boys were 3 1/2 months old. 45 pounds gone (13 of that was baby!) and I still had 50 pounds to loose!


Today (November 2008) - the boys are 7 1/2 months and I am down almost 20 pounds...a little more than 30 to go!
(sorry it is so blurry)

And those of you who have known me for a while, may recognize the sweater I am wearing today...it is from my pre-maternity wardrobe! That in itself is a huge accomplishment!

6 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Lookin good mama! Thanks for posting those tips. I plan on keeping them in mind too!

Unknown said...

You are persistent and that is good. You love your family and want to stay healthy which is important and that is great. I'm proud of your progress. Keep it up. BTW, you and Seth look so good in that picture, (pre-babies). I just love that pink dress. :)

Vanessa said...

Thanks girls!

K - You should love that pink dress from your oh so pink wedding!

Anonymous said...

You're beautiful no matter what size you are! :)

Love you!

Mallory & Kelby said...

Way to go V! What a huge accomplishment you have made! You look awesome. Thanks for the tips and you couldn't have asked for cuter weights to carry!

RG Mama said...

You look beautiful - in every pic. And be kind to yourself. It took you 38 weeks to put on the pounds. You get the same grace period to take it off. Seriously, it's not just about the lbs. Things are still shifting back into place. That takes time. For me... about 10 months.

Related Posts with Thumbnails