Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Power of Praise...

One thing that has amazed me the past few months is the power of praise on my babies. I have long been a believer in and a fan of praising children, but I guess I never really realized how early it makes a difference.

Since the boys were pretty little, we have always done a good job of celebrating their accomplishments, big or small. When they do something new or something we want them to continue, we say "Yay Turner" or "Yay Jaxson" often with clapping.

In the past few months, as the boys have grown and become more aware, they have come to understand that we are proud of them. Whether they understand the words or not, I don't know, but they recognize the motions and the inflections in our voices for sure, and the looks on their faces are priceless!

As a mommy, there are few things that bring me such joy as seeing those smiles that convey 'I did right and I am good!' As they share, show affection (through hugs or kisses) or learn a new skill (eating foods, crawling, etc.) the sense of pride and accomplishment that I can see in them is amazing.

I want our boys to grow up knowing that they are special just for who they are. Both to their family and to their God. I want them to know that they are valuable and I want them to have a strong sense of self-worth. When I talk of pride, it's not a negative, but the kind of pride that makes them good husbands, fathers, employees and people.

These small praises that we give are the building blocks for something so much bigger. Being parents is such a huge task; and not one we take lightly. We have been entrusted to help these boys grow into godly men.

Even at only 8 months old, praise builds them up! It helps them to learn what is acceptable and expected. It helps them to learn to take pride in their accomplishments and encourages them to do what is right...eventually, even when no one is looking!

I can't wait to continue to see Turner & Jaxson proud of their successes and secure in the pride of their parents. I hope that they will grow to see themselves as God sees them. As babies, toddlers, little boys, teenagers and men. The power of praise is amazing!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails