November is Prematurity Awareness month and will be recognized througout the nation with rallies, expert panel discussions, and tours of neonatal intensive care units. Prematurity is now the nation's leading killer of newborns. It has now reached epidemic proportions – 499,008 babies were born premature in 2003, the most recent year for which we have final data. The health consequences for infant survivors can be devastating: cerebral palsy, mental retardation, and other neurological conditions. Our purpose today is to raise public awareness about prematurity, and to mobilize the political will to act. (Taken from marchofdimes.com)
While we were so fortunate to have our babies born at full term, many of those we know and love didn't have near the same experience. I can't even imagine what some of them have been through! I have friends who spent months and months waiting for their babies to be strong enough to leave the hospital and friends who have lost the dear children they prayed so long for. So, in honor of prematurity awareness month I urge you to sign the petition to the right, visit the March of Dimes website, support, encourage and educate any expectant mommies (or yourslef) to keep those babies cookin' as long as possible and most of all to pray. The power of prayer is amazing and I have seen it at work in the lives of many, many preemie babies!

3 comments:
You are so together with things. Totally didn't know this was premature awareness month. Thanks for the post. Do you mind if I copy you and post on ours too? haha
Hope you are having a good day!
Jennifer
Copy away...I actually copied it from Leigh Ann at thetwinspin.blogspot.com
We're just supporting and giving a shout out to all our preemie friends! We love you!
This almost made me cry. Thanks for helping spread the word. Reading some stories online last night made me realize how we have taken our girls' positive experience for granted, and we really need to thank God for giving us strong, healthy, yet small babies.
Post a Comment