Friday, December 5, 2008

Remembering the Pregnancy - Part III

My previous post left off with us finding out we were having two boys and sharing genders and names via 'baby hangman.' It was just 5 days later that we loaded up the rental truck and left for our new home state of Texas. We had so much help from friends and family, it was amazing! We left in the midst of crazy winds and fire storms and honestly were unsure if we could make it out. The air was so bad that everyone wore masks to minimize the amount of smoke they inhaled.

Seth manned the truck solo while my dad and I made the journey in our jeep. It was quite the adventure. We split the drive into two days, stopping in New Mexico. I did better than expected and actually enjoyed getting to spend a little time with my daddy.

Once we arrived in Texas, we had a walk-through of our home with the builder and then couldn't close on the house for 7 days. We took advantage of the down time by driving 3 1/2 hours to Baytown, TX to visit some of our favorite people. It just happened to be homecoming weekend so we got to attend the high school football game and help the girls get ready for the dance. We had such a great 4 days!

Jerry, Nuria, Dana, Alyssa, Kaitlyn, Lauren, Robin, PawPaw, Vanessa & Seth

The girls
(with their hair so different, it is hard to tell that they are identical triplets!)

Once back in Austin, we camped out in a hotel for a few days. We attended our first Mother's of Multiples meeting and began to make contacts with people that would become our local support and new circle of friends. This meeting happened to be an auction fundraiser and I was lucky enough to win a photo session (which I used for maternity photos that you'll see later). We enjoyed a relaxing few days and did a little exploring of our new neighborhood. And finally, on halloween, we closed on our new home, were given the keys and began unloading. We didn't unload much that night since Seth's dad and sister were flying in the next morning to help. It was awesome to have them here and we wished they could have stayed longer.

The following week, on November 6th, I had my first appointment with Dr Reue (pronounced Roy-a). I had asked for recommendations and decided on him before we made the move. I wanted a doctor with lots of experience dealing with multiples and he seemed like just the guy! I felt so comfortable with him and I knew we were all in great hands.

The very next day we headed to Babies R Us to create our registry. I had no idea a wall of bottles could be so overwhelming! We were basically at a loss for what we really needed to have, but we did our best in selecting necessities.

The following week (20th week of the pregnancy), we went in for our 'big ultrasound.' Everyone has this ultrasound between 16 & 20 weeks. It took us over an hour and they looked at each baby in depth. Both boys (they confirmed for us and they indeed were boys...they're not shy!) looked fantastic and the doctor told me to just keep doing what I was doing. It was so neat to see them interact with each other and it was amazing how they actually looked like babies this time.

The month of November was spent unpacking and gathering all the things we would need for 2 babies. Our goal was to be ready for their arrival before the new year, so we were hard at work. Seth painted the nursery (I got to help a little) and he did an amazing job. Our walls are pretty textured, so straight lines are very difficult!



My family came out to celebrate Thanksgiving with us. We had a very low key holiday and even ordered in so I wouldn't have to cook (not that I could have stood up that long anyway). My mom was able to attend an AMOM meeting with me and it was nice to get to show them around a bit. It happened to be freezing and raining most of the time, but we were at least able to make it to the Alamo Drafthouse.

We ended November with a infant, adult and child CPR class and began December with the pre-term labor prevention program. We would meet with Laura (a RN) each week for measurements, education and evaluation. Our first couple weeks were education heavy focusing on the signs of pre-term labor, when to call the doctor and a time line of what to expect and what goals to shoot for. I continued to see her weekly throughout the rest of my pregnancy. Her office was where I had my ultrasounds as well, every 3-4 weeks. It was such a blessing to be monitored so closely.

We had our next ultrasound on December 12th and once again, our boys looked fantastic. I always looked forward to the ultrasounds and getting to actually see our little miracles and the progress made since the last. The following week we headed back to California for Christmas. One of the first things we did there was have a 3D ultrasound with all our family. It was so neat to see the babies! At the time it really didn't help give us any idea of what they would look like, but looking at them now, I can easily see which are Turner & which are Jaxson.

Turner


Jaxson

Two days later, we celebrated both the boys with a baby shower. There were so many people there! It was great to get to see everyone and to celebrate the joy of our little guys. We played games, ate some wonderful food (my mother-in-law is the best!) and opened gifts. I was amazed at the generosity...we ended up having to mail back 3 HUGE boxes!



We enjoyed Christmas festivities with family. We built a gingerbread house with Ethan and Ella on Christmas Eve and then headed back to my family's house (thanks for letting us stay for 12 days!) to open gifts with my mom, dad and sister. We had some of the 3D pictures printed and gave little framed pics of the boys!


Christmas night, we headed to the DuPree's for dinner and gifts. We had a good time, but I was really starting to feel the pain of carrying 2 babies and not resting enough. After our wonderful meal, I hardly left the recliner. Seth's family spoiled us (and the boys) like usual. They even had stockings ready for Turner & Jaxson...so cute!

I did enjoy being with family and I love watching the kids enjoy Christmas. One of my favorite memories from the night was when everyone was gone (either loading up the car or putting Ethan to bed) and it was just me and Ella. She climbed up on my lap and put her hand on my tummy. One of the boys (or both...I never even knew) decided to be nice and give a little wiggle for her. Her face lit up and she got so excited! She ran to tell her mom, who had no luck even after trying so hard to feel them move. It was such a sweet moment and one I will remember forever.

Later that week we headed down to San Diego to visit some great friends, Jordan & Vanessa (we miss you guys!). We were planning on staying a few days, but in the middle of our first night Seth came down with the flu. We headed home early, making a stop for drugs on the way, and Seth went info solitary confinement for the next few days. Me getting sick was not an option!

We made an appearance at the Gulsvig's New Year's party, but since Seth was still under the weather we didn't stay long. We wanted, so bad, to hang out more with all our friends we had been missing, but there was just not enough energy to stay out all night. The next morning we packed our bags and headed home.

So, there you are, caught up through 2007. Only a few more months before babies would arrive :) There will be one more pregnancy post to end the series. Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails