The previous post left off at the end of 2007 as we made our way home from a great visit in California. The first week of January (2008) marked the beginning of my third trimester. It was that first week that I began to have my first Braxton Hicks contractions. I was in my 27th week of pregnancy, but measuring the equivalent of 36.5 weeks with one baby.
On January 3rd, Seth and I made the trip to downtown Austin for a whirl wind day of pre-term labor appointments, followed by a meeting with my obstetrician, then an ultrasound of the babies and finally a twin breastfeeding class at a great little boutique called Special Addition. I had my test for gestational diabetes which I surprisingly passed with flying colors. The boys looked fantastic as always and we gained tons of useful information at the breastfeeding class.

January was kind of a weird month. We got the boys car seats and stroller (thanks to tons of gift cards from our shower) and we were pretty much ready for babies to come. Seth spent 12 days in Dallas (about 3 hours away) at a training class and without him home I didn't get out much. By January 9th, I had gained 64 pounds and was pretty uncomfortable.
While he was gone, I did attend an AMOM MoM's Night Out. It happened to be at the Z-Tejas just down the street and some adult conversation sounded really good. There were just a few other moms there and most of them had older kids. There were a couple with kids under 3 and the support and advice they gave me was so appreciated. I never could have know what a blessing and support the AMOM group would come to be.
At 29 weeks, I was given a shot of Rhogam for RH Incompatibility. I was terrified of it because they inject it in the butt...ouch! It was not nearly as bad as I had envisioned and I am glad we did it since one of the boys did indeed have a positive blood type.
We had a tour at the hospital (Seton Medical Center) and since I was so big, they had Seth push me around in a wheel chair. It was a bit embarrassing, but I am so thankful he did because it would have been quite the hike. It was nice to get familiar with the hospital, but we were pretty under impressed with the size of the rooms. Lucky for us, when we actually had the boys we were put in a double room all to ourselves...yay! Earlier this year they finished their remodel and opened a new maternity wing...just a little too late for us to enjoy it.
It was in January that we also began interviewing pediatricians. It was such an odd experience and we really didn't know what to ask. We knew we were considering delaying vaccinations, so most of our questions had to do with that and the practice's policies in caring for twins. We met with 5 different pediatricians and didn't really feel a good fit with any of them. Since we didn't have to make a decision until I was admitted to the hospital, we just decided to take a while to decide. And decide, we finally did the week before the boys were born!
I continued to have weekly appointments and on January 30th, I hit the 40 week measurement! I was so uncomfortable and anyone that has had a baby will tell you that once you get to the end, you are done! 40 weeks is the end for a singleton pregnancy, but at the time that I hit that measurement, they boys were only at 30.5 weeks developed. I had weeks and weeks to go!


30 weeks = 51 1/2" around!!


I believe it was late January or early February that Seth & I made the decision to have him sleep upstairs in the guest room. It was so difficult for both of us, but it really was the only way either of us could sleep. My expanding body was taking up much of the bed and being a baby incubator made me radiate heat like crazy. I would toss and turn trying to get comfy and it just wasn't working for us to sleep in the same room. Once the babies arrived, we were back in the same room, only now awakened many times at night with 2 little ones :)
On February 4th (6 1/2 weeks before the boys were born), Seth and I met with Matthew Lemke for a maternity photo shoot. We had bid on a session with him at an AMOM auction and won. We had tons of photos taken and loved them. It is hard to believe that I really was bigger than this:
The second week of February marked the 33rd week of pregnancy and began weekly appointments with Dr Reue. I had graduated from the pre-term labor prevention program and at 34 weeks, if I went into labor they would do nothing to stop it. Had the boys been born then, they would have spent a few weeks in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) simply learning to feed and grow. I packed my suitcase and we put the car seats in the car...we were ready at any moment.
During this time I also had one of my only cravings during my pregnancy...a maple bar doughnut. I would talk about them all the time and even dreamed about them. One day, we walked into a Randall's grocery store for something and I saw some in the bakery. Yes, I had an old stale grocery store doughnut and it was heavenly!
February 25th marked my 28th birthday and our very last ultrasound peek at the babies growing inside of me. It was such a great treat to see them before heading to Red Robin for lunch!


On January 3rd, Seth and I made the trip to downtown Austin for a whirl wind day of pre-term labor appointments, followed by a meeting with my obstetrician, then an ultrasound of the babies and finally a twin breastfeeding class at a great little boutique called Special Addition. I had my test for gestational diabetes which I surprisingly passed with flying colors. The boys looked fantastic as always and we gained tons of useful information at the breastfeeding class.

January was kind of a weird month. We got the boys car seats and stroller (thanks to tons of gift cards from our shower) and we were pretty much ready for babies to come. Seth spent 12 days in Dallas (about 3 hours away) at a training class and without him home I didn't get out much. By January 9th, I had gained 64 pounds and was pretty uncomfortable.While he was gone, I did attend an AMOM MoM's Night Out. It happened to be at the Z-Tejas just down the street and some adult conversation sounded really good. There were just a few other moms there and most of them had older kids. There were a couple with kids under 3 and the support and advice they gave me was so appreciated. I never could have know what a blessing and support the AMOM group would come to be.
At 29 weeks, I was given a shot of Rhogam for RH Incompatibility. I was terrified of it because they inject it in the butt...ouch! It was not nearly as bad as I had envisioned and I am glad we did it since one of the boys did indeed have a positive blood type.
We had a tour at the hospital (Seton Medical Center) and since I was so big, they had Seth push me around in a wheel chair. It was a bit embarrassing, but I am so thankful he did because it would have been quite the hike. It was nice to get familiar with the hospital, but we were pretty under impressed with the size of the rooms. Lucky for us, when we actually had the boys we were put in a double room all to ourselves...yay! Earlier this year they finished their remodel and opened a new maternity wing...just a little too late for us to enjoy it.
It was in January that we also began interviewing pediatricians. It was such an odd experience and we really didn't know what to ask. We knew we were considering delaying vaccinations, so most of our questions had to do with that and the practice's policies in caring for twins. We met with 5 different pediatricians and didn't really feel a good fit with any of them. Since we didn't have to make a decision until I was admitted to the hospital, we just decided to take a while to decide. And decide, we finally did the week before the boys were born!
I continued to have weekly appointments and on January 30th, I hit the 40 week measurement! I was so uncomfortable and anyone that has had a baby will tell you that once you get to the end, you are done! 40 weeks is the end for a singleton pregnancy, but at the time that I hit that measurement, they boys were only at 30.5 weeks developed. I had weeks and weeks to go!
30 weeks = 51 1/2" around!!


I believe it was late January or early February that Seth & I made the decision to have him sleep upstairs in the guest room. It was so difficult for both of us, but it really was the only way either of us could sleep. My expanding body was taking up much of the bed and being a baby incubator made me radiate heat like crazy. I would toss and turn trying to get comfy and it just wasn't working for us to sleep in the same room. Once the babies arrived, we were back in the same room, only now awakened many times at night with 2 little ones :)
On February 4th (6 1/2 weeks before the boys were born), Seth and I met with Matthew Lemke for a maternity photo shoot. We had bid on a session with him at an AMOM auction and won. We had tons of photos taken and loved them. It is hard to believe that I really was bigger than this:
The second week of February marked the 33rd week of pregnancy and began weekly appointments with Dr Reue. I had graduated from the pre-term labor prevention program and at 34 weeks, if I went into labor they would do nothing to stop it. Had the boys been born then, they would have spent a few weeks in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) simply learning to feed and grow. I packed my suitcase and we put the car seats in the car...we were ready at any moment.
During this time I also had one of my only cravings during my pregnancy...a maple bar doughnut. I would talk about them all the time and even dreamed about them. One day, we walked into a Randall's grocery store for something and I saw some in the bakery. Yes, I had an old stale grocery store doughnut and it was heavenly!
February 25th marked my 28th birthday and our very last ultrasound peek at the babies growing inside of me. It was such a great treat to see them before heading to Red Robin for lunch!


Getting out was getting very difficult. I became a big fan of the motorized carts at Target & Costco. They were my only hope of feeling halfway decent after an outing. I still could only be out for about an hour at a time, but at least my recovery on the couch wouldn't be horrible. Oh...and speaking of the couch, I had a love/hate relationship with it. I wanted to be up so badly, but I was thankful for somewhere comfy to rest & veg.
I was so uncomfortable and even posted this message on the AMOM message board. The response I got was amazing and I was definitely not the first to feel this way and I was not alone!
I am 34 weeks & 3 days pregnant with my twin boys and I have been an emotional mess for the past few days. I feel like I may have some pre-partum depression going on or something. I have been crying everyday and today I was so tired I slept until 1:45 in the afternoon.
I am so uncomfortable and pretty much disgusted at the 80 extra pounds on my body. I hate getting dressed because just looking at the closet is upsetting me since I can't even fit into most of my maternity clothes anymore. I want nothing more than to get outside and do something/anything, but the hassle of trying to waddle around anywhere (or even just get in and out of the car) makes it not worth the effort (besides the fact that after about an hour I will have had all I can take).
My poor husband feels helpless and just wants to make it better, but there is nothing either of us can do...which makes me feel bad for bringing him into my mess. I have never had any depression issues before, so this is all so strange to me. I don't really have much of an appetite, but I try to make sure to keep eating since I know I need to, just nothing sounds good.
I don't have any destructive feelings (expect sometimes I wish my blood pressure would rise or something would happen to justify taking the babies out soon). It's almost like we have gotten to the point where I know the babies are doing well and would be safe so I am ready for them to be born. I know letting them cook longer is better for them, so it makes me feel like a terrible mommy to be SO ready to have them out.
While trying to go to sleep tonight, I was thinking I should talk to my doctor at my next appt (Thursday), but just considering what I might say caused me to begin sobbing...which is why I'm up and writing this :) I have had no mood swings or any sort of emotional stuff this entire pregnancy. I have read about 'baby blues' and postpartum depression, but really nothing like this.
I don't really have any huge fears about having the babies and I'm not overwhelmed or stressed about them coming...I really am just so ready to be done with the pregnancy part. However, now I am really starting to be concerned that this is maybe a sign that I'll have some emotional issues after their birth...I assume we'll just have to wait and see.
Anyway, I would appreciate any insight or advise any of you may have. I know I just need to keep pressing on and give these babies the best start, but I can't wait to have them in my arms and get on with our new lives.
Thanks in advance,
Vanessa
At the next doctors appointment, I did talk to my doctor and he said we needed to schedule a date for delivery. I am so thankful he did because after that I was 100% better. I knew the boys were coming March 20th, if not before and just having an end in sight put me at ease. I felt like having something to count down to was just what I needed.
Seth just informed me that he emailed some of my close friends during this time and asked for their prayers for me. No one has ever told me, to this day, but I thank and appreciate you guys. I got a copy of the email and here is what it said. I am so lucky that God chose Seth for me...he is perfect!
March 10th & 17th, I had a test know as an NST (Non-Stress Test). I basically just sat in a chair for an hour and ate crackers :) They just wanted to see how the boys heart rates were doing and make sure there was no distress to either of them. They both passed each test with flying colors! Had there been a problem they would have taken them out immediately.
At my last appointment, 3 days before delivery, I had zero dilation or effacement. These babies were in no hurry to come out. However, mama was very ready to meet them and very ready to be back on the road to becoming human again :)
Some very dear friends of ours, The Gainer's (along with a few friends), came out and stayed with us the night before the boys were born. They took us to dinner at the Olive Garden and helped us enjoy our last night kid free! My parents and sister also came into town, but their flight got in so late we didn't see them until the next day at the hospital.
Seth just informed me that he emailed some of my close friends during this time and asked for their prayers for me. No one has ever told me, to this day, but I thank and appreciate you guys. I got a copy of the email and here is what it said. I am so lucky that God chose Seth for me...he is perfect!
By March 6th, I had gained a whopping 85 pounds! I was in better spirits, but so in pain it was amazing. I had a hard time even lifting my legs to put my pants on. It didn't matter if I sat, laid down or stood...I was miserable. I remember talking to my doctor who informed me that the weight of the babies was probably just bruising my pelvis...nice!Hey Ladies,
I chose to email you because you are all so close to Vanessa and you all mean a lot to her and she needs your help right now.
This may be a lot to ask of you and your friendship with Vanessa, but I ask you to please don't tell Vanessa I talked to you about this, I don't want to embarrass or upset her.
All I am asking of you is if you would please say some extra prayers for Vanessa this week.
First of all she is so uncomfortable and it has become painful for her. Secondly, I don't really know or understand what is going on but she seems to be going through a really rough time all of a sudden. Over the past two days it seems that I can not even carry a conversation with her without her breaking down and crying for some reason. The other day I walked into the room to find her crying while reading a magazine article, and yesterday she started crying when I kissed her. I don't know what to do but ask for prayer. Up to this point of the pregnancy she has not been anywhere near like this. She is just extremely emotional right now and I have know idea how to help her or handle it myself. She has also become very negative about her pregnancy over the past 2 days, with all kinds of comments about how fat she feels she is, and that she feels like a whale, she says that she is ugly, and that she just wants to be done and get them out. I try to build her up and tell her that she is cute and I love her. I've told her that I loved her before she was pregnant, that I've loved her while she's been pregnant, and that I will continue to love her after. I even bought her some Hallmark I Love You cards that I've surprised her with over the past few weeks, but she just says that I'm either lying to her or I am just saying that. I tell her that she needs to think positive about being pregnant and that shes almost done, and how she has done such a great job so far, but nothing seems to help and honestly all the negativity is starting to wear on me as well. So I don't really know what is going on with her emotionally, or what she needs, or if there is anything I can do for her, but if you could just pray about it for me it would be nice to know that lots of people were surrounding her with prayer right now.
Again I just want to ask that if you can, to please don't mention to Vanessa that I talked to you about this because I think it would probably be embarrassing to her and I really don't want to upset her, I just want to help her feel better. Just pray for her in your own way if you would please.
Thank you so much. I, and I know Vanessa would too, appreciate it greatly.
We will see you all soon.
Seth
March 10th & 17th, I had a test know as an NST (Non-Stress Test). I basically just sat in a chair for an hour and ate crackers :) They just wanted to see how the boys heart rates were doing and make sure there was no distress to either of them. They both passed each test with flying colors! Had there been a problem they would have taken them out immediately.
At my last appointment, 3 days before delivery, I had zero dilation or effacement. These babies were in no hurry to come out. However, mama was very ready to meet them and very ready to be back on the road to becoming human again :)
Some very dear friends of ours, The Gainer's (along with a few friends), came out and stayed with us the night before the boys were born. They took us to dinner at the Olive Garden and helped us enjoy our last night kid free! My parents and sister also came into town, but their flight got in so late we didn't see them until the next day at the hospital.


1 comment:
Ahhhh, the memories. RH Negativity, tiny Seton rooms, and I remember that AMOM post too!
Post a Comment